Salvatore Gallo was born in 1928 in Vittoria in Sicily He studied in Turin with Carlo Carra from 1946-49. He then went to study in Mexico with the Mexican artist David Siqueiros fom 1955 -1957.
Gallo moved to New York USA in 1958 where he had his first major show at the Chiser Gallery. And began a collaboration with his cousin Frank Gallo Professor of Art at Boston University. Upon, completing several major commissions together. They had a major exhibition of work in Tel Aviv, Israel. In 1964 he left the States to move to Paris.
In 1965 he held his first major show at "' L’Academie Dufaux"' Paris. At the same time he took part in the Major exhibition “Art Fantastique” at the Langlois Gallery in Paris.
He received major recognition when he exhibited his sculptures At the Italian Embassy in Paris and at the musee d”Art Moderne. In 1969 he participated in the exhibition "Since Rodin" where he was presented with the Medalle de bronze.
In 1970 he was honoured further in recognition of his work with the Medaille d’argent a la Biennale Internationale de Juvisy.
Then in 1972 he won the Medaille d’ora la Biennale Internationale de Juvisy, culminating with the honour Eme Grand Prix de Juan-les Pins. He started working at his new studio at La Maison des Artistes in Nogent sur Marne Paris
Awards and commissions from 1975–1996 Medaille d’or au 14 eme salon International de Paris Sud de Juvisy. 1975 Participated in the 50th anniversary of the group of de Grear at the Chateau de Montvillargenne.
It was in this year that Salvatore Gallo and his cousin Frank Gallo worked on a number of projects in the states including monuments in Dallas, Texas, as well as several sculptures for the Play Boy Club of America
Salvatore Gallo oil on canvas 97 x 130 cm
|Salvatore gallo Sculpture Onta 1972|
|1976 Exposition an Aurillac and the Exposition at Clermont Ferrand.
1977 La couleur dans de Ville Espace Cardin Salon de Mai in Paris Also the Salon de ‘La Jeune Sculpture” Salon des Realities Nouvelles.
1978 Exhibition for Salon de Mai a Paris
1980 Commission Memorial de la Paix in bronze
1981 Commission for the family Libereville Gabon
1983 -85 Commissions for the Salon Du Group Dor
1986 Commission for the Coppia Gabon - Le Couple Port Gentil1988 Sculpture for Live Aid Afrique
1990 Private commission for the Salon Donatello
1995 Final exposition of key works for the Maison D`es Artistes Nogent Sur Marne
1996 Last Commission from the President of The Societe Des Autoroutes Paris – Rhin Rhone Jean Antoine Winghart. A 35-ton piece of Granite carved by hand La Creation. Positioned on the rest area of Villeneuve-Archbishop Yonne alongside the A5 autoroute official inauguration on 21 June 1996 Aire de Villeneuve-l'Archeveque (Autoroute A5)
Final Commission - La Creation
La Creation was one of the most demanding pieces Salvatore Gallo had conceived. Carved from a 35-ton slab of granite Quartz sandstone and pyrite. Excavated by workers near his country home at Marchais, a hamlet of Bagneaux Yonne France and close to the newly constructed A5 Autoroute. Its purchase by the Paris Rhine Autoroute enables the general public and travellers on the A5 to see an amazing work of art that was the final commission of this internationally recognised Sculptor. It was officially unveiled on the 21 June 1996 just a week after the Gallo's death.